This past week I have had to learn a lot about roof gutters. Gutters have received more attention recently because of massive rain events around the country and the world. They play an important role in collecting and re-distributing roof run-off water. They also can help prevent water from getting into the house.
Here are some important notes about gutters:
- Keep gutter clean. Clogged gutters cannot function properly.
- Cleaning gutters can be dangerous work. About 90,000 people go to emergency rooms each year from ladder falls mostly while cleaning gutters.
- Gutters prevent staining to the facade of a home.
- Gutters prevent erosion.
- Gutters prevent excessive moisture from reaching basements and foundations.
- Gutters prevent rot and mold.
- Extended down-spouts divert water further away from the house.
- Gutter screens can prevent leaf and debris build-up.
- Drooping gutters are less effective and should be re-enforced.
- Gutters should be placed and angled correctly to be fully effective.
- Gutters can be helpful in collecting and storing run-off water in tanks for future use, especially in drought-prone areas.
- Gutters require a pitch to effectively drain water fast.
13. While gutters are effective at deflecting water, a deeper roof overhang can be very effective too, although not best for high-wind environments.
Keep your gutters clean!